Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I know I should be cleaning but instead...

I've been sewing. Today I slept a little later and didn't start sewing until about 7. Shocker since the past couple of days I have been in my room by 6:15. I have a to do list of things I need to finish up. 1) Natalie's shower curtain 2) Baby gift 3) Mallie & Ellis's summer items 4) two dresses for Ellie. I find myself instead making random clothing for children that I don't have or have anyone to give it to. Hmmm. Today I attempted my very first adult clothing item. Yes it was intended for me. I decided to forge ahead in the Weekend Sewing book and make something for myself. I decided I would make the Yard Sale Wrap Skirt. I made it from a chocolate linen that I had found a sale a while back. I will post pictures later, you will notice in those pictures that I am not wearing it. You see I have a problem using the recommended seam allowances, and by not paying attention to them, the clothes are not the size they should be. For instance if you cut out a pattern and start sewing, the pattern says take 1/4 inch seams.... and you take 5/8'' seams your seams will be deeper using more fabric and leaving your clothing a little smaller than it should be. My dear sweet Meagan became the proud recipient of the great linen skirt I made. When I post the pictures you will see that the skirt is really cute on her tiny waist.


After my adventure to see my dad today and to give my beloved skirt to Meagan we layed out and once I got home I got back to sewing.


I had this dress cut out for about two weeks before I knew what to put on it, and it has been appliqued about a week before I made the pants and finally finished it. This whale applique is really for a boy I'm sure but in pink it looks precious as well. Angela, I bet you need shirts for the boys. It would be cute in summer plaid, blue, or seersucker. This dress is a size 1 but would work for a top on a size 2. The pants are a size 1. Let me know if anyone would like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment